— Current Affairs : 9 Aug 2016 —
Daily | Current Affair Updates | 7-Minute-Read | By-Raksha | PDF Version
A complete dose of current affairs for the whole day. Categories listed are given as below:
- Books & Authors
- Business & Economy
- Appointments and Resigns
- Awards & Honours
- Science & Technology
— IMPORTANT DAYS —
– International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples: 9 August
- This year’s International Day of the World’s Indigenous Peoples’ is devoted to the right to education.
- The right of indigenous peoples to education is also protected by a number of other international human rights instruments, including the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
- Goal 4 of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development calls for ensuring equal access to all levels of education and vocational training for the vulnerable, including persons with disabilities, indigenous peoples and children in vulnerable situations.
— NATIONAL —
– RajyaSabha passes ‘patient-centric’ Mental Health Care Bill 2013
- The RajyaSabha on Monday unanimously passed the Mental Health Care Bill 2013, which seeks to provide better healthcare to people with mental illness and safeguard their rights.
- The bill gives one the right to select a representative, who will design the mode of treatment according to which the person will be treated if he/she gets diagnosed with a mental illness.
- “This person would be a nominative representative, who has a similar cultural background as the patient and is aware of his likes and dislikes,” said Union health minister JP Nadda, while introducing the bill.
– British Council to promoting education, culture in Bihar
- The British Council India is interested in long-term collaboration with the Bihar government for promotion of education and culture.
- The British Council, in association with the UK Department of International Development (DFID) and the Education Department of Bihar has been successfully running the Bihar Language Initiative for Secondary Schools (BLISS).
- Bihar Capital: Patna
- Bihar Chief Minister:Nitish Kumar
- Bihar Education Minister:Dr. Ashok Choudhary
– Manipur’s Iron Lady IromSharmila ends 16-year-long hunger strike
- World’s longest hunger strike ended on Tuesday when an emotional IromChanuSharmila ended her 16-year-long fast. “I will never forget this moment,” Sharmila told media reporters after breaking her fast with honey.
- Manipur’s ‘Iron Lady’ IromChanuSharmila was on a hunger strike for 5757 days and was being force-fed through a nasal tube to keep her alive at a prison-turned-hospital in Imphal.
– 4497 New Projects Sanctioned for Rural Electrification under DDUGJY
- Under DeendayalUpadhyaya Gram JyotiYojana (DDUGJY), 4497 new projects have been sanctioned in the country with the project cost of Rs. 42392.47 crore for various rural electrification works.
- This was stated by ShriPiyushGoyal Minister of State (IC) for Power, Coal, New & Renewable Energy and Mines in a written reply to a question in the RajyaSabha.
- In addition to the projects sanctioned under erstwhile Rajiv Gandhi GrameenVidyutikaranYojana are also subsumed with DDUGJY as Rural Electrification (RE) component, the Minister added.
– Odisha government approves two ordinances
- Odisha cabinet has approved 14 proposals including promulgation of two ordinances on rotation of office reservation of the Sarpanch at every general elections and amendment of the Odisha Electricity (Duty) Act, 1961.
- In first ordinance, there will be rotation of reservation of the office of the Sarpanch at every general elections similar to the case of ward members, Panchayatssamiti and zillaparishad posts.
- In the second ordinance, the amendment in the Odisha Electricity Act, 1961, will enable government to administer the ED Act properly.
- This act will give better justice to different classes of consumers including open access users and help in recovery of arrear ED dues from the defaulting consumers.
- Odisha Capital:Bhubaneswar
- Odisha Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
– Maharashtra government diluting importance of Quit India event: Cong
- Maharashtra government’s decision to to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the historic 1942-freedom movement as ‘Quit India-2’ has invited criticism from Opposition Congress which has termed the decision as “disrespect” to freedom fighters.
- To mark the day, the BJP-Shiv Sena government has given a few advertisements in local dailies with the slogan ‘Quit India-2’, calling for eradication of illiteracy, farmer suicides, wastage of water, corruption, alcoholism etc. The initiative will be launched on Tuesday.
– Parliament passes GST Bill; PM says GST to address problem of imbalanced development
- The long-delayed GST Constitution bill was passed by Parliament on Monday, marking a historic step for tax reforms. Prime Minister NarendraModi said GST was “crucial” for ending tax terrorism besides reducing corruption and black money.
- The GST will make consumer the “king”, PM Modi said thanking all parties for their support to the Bill.
- The Constitution (122nd Amendment) Bill, which was passed by the LokSabha in May 2015, was taken up again by the Lower House to approve the changes made in it by the RajyaSabha last week.
- The government had moved six official amendments, including scrapping of 1 per cent additional tax, to the bill which were approved by the Upper House.
— INTERNATIONAL —
– First-ever ‘Pizza ATM’ Opens in US
- First-ever ‘pizza ATM’ in the USA has been installed at a university campus.
- The pizza vending machine on the campus of Xavier University (XU) in Ohio can hold seventy 12-inch pizzas & dispense them fresh & hot in just three minutes.
- French-based company Paline has developed the ATM.
- The cost of each pizza is around USD 10 &the ATM accepting credit & debit cards.
— BANKING —
– HDFC Life, Max Life merger to create entity with Rs 65K cr valuation
- HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company and the Max group entities have finalised the merger of Max insurance arm with the former, creating the largest private sector insurance company with a market valuation of Rs 65,000 crore.
- The shares of HDFC Life will be listed on the stock exchanges after the ‘complex deal’ involving four companies, a final share swap ratio of 3:7 with Max Financial Services shareholders and a non-compete fee payment of Rs 800 crore to Max.
- Max Financial Services shareholders (after amalgamation with Max Life) will get seven shares of HDFC Life for every three shares of Max Financial.
– RaghuramRajan keeps interest rate unchanged at 6.5% in his last policy review today
- In the last monetary policy review of his term, Reserve Bank of India (RBI) Governor RaghuramRajan on Tuesday kept the policy rate unchanged at 6.50 per cent, even as inflation has hit a near two-year high and continues to be above the comfort zone.
- Repo rate unchanged at 6.5%
- Cash Reserve Ration (CRR) was also left unchanged at 4%
- Reverse repo rate remains unchanged at 6.0%
- Marginal standing facility (MSF) rate is 7.0%
- Bank Rate is at 7.0%
— BUSINESS AND ECONOMY —
– Deskera claims 1st GST compliant cloud-based enterprise software in India
- Pune-based Deskera, a business software provider in Asia Pacific has claimed to be the first cloud-based software provider to offer Goods and Services Tax (GST) ready software suite in India. In the past, has been a partner in transitioning Singapore and Malaysia to GST model.
- Headquartered in Singapore, the company mostly caters to global SME markets and has been working with various government departments and businesses in Singapore and Malaysia in helping them move to the GST based system.
– FDI in petroleum sector permitted across the Hydrocarbon value chain
- The Minister of State (I/C) for Petroleum & Natural Gas ShriDharmendraPradhan informed the LokSabha in a written reply today that the Government of India permits Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) across the hydrocarbon value chain covering the upstream, downstream and midstream sectors.
- The present FDI policy for petroleum & natural gas sector allows 100% automatic route for exploration and production, refining by the private companies (for public sector companies 49% on automatic route without any divestment or dilution of domestic equity in the existing PSUs), marketing of petroleum products, pipelines, storage and LNG regasification infrastructure and all related services, subject to existing sectoral policy and regulatory framework in the oil and gas sector.
– Reliance General enters ‘bancassurance’ deal with co-operative bank
- Non-life insurer Reliance General Insurance Company Ltd on Tuesday announced a bancassurance tie-up with ShamraoVithal Co-operative Bank (SVCB).
- According to Reliance General, it will distribute its insurance products to the customers of SVCB having a network of 194 branches.
– Vodafone renews IT deal with IBM for 5 years
- Telecom giant Vodafone has renewed its multi-million dollar engagement with IBM to manage IT services support for its India arm for another five years.
- Under the new contract, IBM will manage IT services support for Vodafone India’s IT infrastructure and applications environment, a move that will help the telecom operator derive benefits like enhanced customer experience, cost optimisation, scalability of IT infrastructure and overall improvement in efficiency of network operations.
– On-tap bank licencing ‘credit positive’ for NBFCs: Moody’s
- Non-banking finance companies will benefit from the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI’s) decision to herald ‘on tap’ universal banking licence regime, Moody’s Investors Service said on Monday.
- It cautioned, however, that more bank licences will be “credit negative for existing banks” as it would increase competition.
- The RBI said last week that it will permanently keep open the window for applying for universal bank licences, ending its practice of allowing licence applications only during specific periods.
– AurobindoPharma receives final approval from US FDA for anti-infective drug
- AurobindoPharma Limited has received final approval from the US Food & Drug Administration (FDA) to manufacture and market ant-infective drug linezolid injection, 600 mg/300 mL (2 mg/mL).
- The company expects to launch the product, a generic version of Pharmacia & Upjohn Company’s Zyvox injection, by Q2 FY2016-17.
- Linezolid injection is an anti-infective used to treat infections caused by susceptible (likely or liable to be influenced or harmed by a particular thing) gram-positive bacteria in some specific conditions.
- The approved product has an estimated market size of $ 87 million for the twelve months ending June 2016, according to IMS.
— SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY —
– Orkut creator launches new social network called Hello
- Orkut co-founder Büyükkökten has launched a new social network called Hello, which is available on mobile only.
- The Hello.com app is available on Android and iOS in the following countries: US, Canada, Britain, France, Australia, Brazil, Ireland. Germany, Mexico and India are next on the list and the app should be available this month.
— SPORTS —
– Abhijeet Gupta wins Commonwealth Chess Championship
- Grandmaster and former world junior champion Abhijeet Gupta has added another feather to his cap by retaining the Commonwealth Chess championship crown in Colombo, Sri Lanka, while International Master Tania Sachdev also finished with a gold medal.
- Grandmasters S L Narayanan and Deep Chakkravarthy got the silver and bronze medals respectively in the open section, while Mary Ann Gomes and KiranManishaMohanty reached the podium in the women’s section.
– American swimmer Ledecky wins gold creating a new world record
- The unassuming teenager from suburban Washington gave the United States its first swimming gold medal of the Rio Olympics on Sunday night, crushing (breaking) her own world record in the women’s 400-meter freestyle.
— OBITUARY —
– Yoga guru TKV Desikachar passes away
- Renowned Yoga Guru TKV Desikachar has passed away following a brief illness in Chennai. He was 78 years old.
- He was known for transforming the way yoga was practiced and turned it into both a wellness concept and a therapy.
- He also founded the Krishnamacharya Yoga Mandiram where today about 1000 students visit every month to learn yoga.
– Former Arunachal CM KalikhoPul found dead
- Congress rebel KalikhoPul, who briefly served as Arunachal Pradesh chief minister, allegedly committed suicide in Itanagar.
- Mr. Pul (47) allegedly hanged himself from the ceiling fan in his bedroom, a top police officer said. He was found dead at the chief minister’s official residence, which he was yet to vacate. He is survived by three wives and four children.
Current Affairs Update
To Get PDF Version
— Click Here —