— Current Affairs : 7 Aug 2016 —
Daily | Current Affair Updates | 7-Minute-Read | By-Raksha | PDF Version
A complete dose of current affairs for the whole day. Categories listed are given as below:
- Important Days
- Books & Authors
- Business & Economy
- Appointments and Resigns
- Awards & Honours
- Science & Technology
— IMPORTANT DAYS —
DAYS TO REMEMBER:
– 2nd Handloom Day to be observed on August 7, 2016
- The second National Handloom Day will be celebrated all over the country, on August 7, 2016.
- The main function will be held in Varanasi in which Sant Kabir Awards and National Handloom Awards will be presented.
- The Union Textiles Minister Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani would be the Chief Guest on the occasion. Minister of State for Skill Development & Entrepreneurship (I/C), Shri Rajiv Pratap Rudy would be the Guest of Honour.
- Minister of State, Textiles, Shri Ajay Tamta and the Textiles Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Shri Mahboob Ali would also grace the occasion.
— NATIONAL —
– Festival of short films focuses on disability
- A series of 19 films, most of which are less than 5 minutes long and directed by filmmakers from nine countries and focussing on prevalent stereotypes about disability and the disabled were recently awarded here.
- Films from Iran dominated the 13th edition of the 3-day ‘We Care Film Festival on Disability Issues’ that concluded last evening lapping up a total of seven awards.
- The films were shortlisted from a selection of 953 films and documentaries from 98 countries that entered the festival.
- They were divided into four categories based on their run time of under 1-minute, 5-minute, 30-minute and 60-minute. Interestingly, many of the award winning filmakers were disabled.
– Taxies in Dubai to promote Kerala Tourism
- With the onset of the outbound tourism season in the Middle East, Kerala Tourism has rolled out a promotional campaign in Dubai targeting Arab travellers and showcasing the state’s backwaters and waterfalls on taxis plying in the bustling metropolis.
- As many as 200 Kerala-branded taxis will ferry the message of ‘A Faraway Land Four Hours Away’ with eye-catching visuals featuring hill stations, backwaters, waterfalls and also Ayurvedic therapies – through the streets of Dubai, the throbbing heart of the UAE, an official release said here today.
– Swachh Survekshan of 500 cities launched by Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu
- Minister of Urban Development Shri M.Venkaiah Naidu today launched ‘Swachh Suvekshan-2017’ to assess and rank 500 cities and towns based on levels of sanitation and efforts made by respective urban local bodies and also to capture progress towards achieving ‘Open Defecation Free’ status.
- The Minister also released in New Delhi today various publications and mobile applications to help the 500 cities and towns prepare for the survey to be conducted in January next year.
- Shri Venkaiah Naidu addressed Mayors, Municipal Chairpersons, Municipal Commissioners and other concerned officials of 500 cities and towns to be surveyed via video conferencing.
– PMO Mobile app launched by PM Modi as a part of MyGov initiative
- Prime Minister, Narendra Modi launched an app creating a portal for citizens to have discussions and directly submit grievances to the Prime minister’s office (PMO) right from their smartphones.
- The app was launched as a part of the MyGov’s anniversary and the first ever Town Hall event in New Delhi.
- The MyGov portal came into existence when the prime minister launched it on 26 July 2014 as a part of the government’s Digital India campaign.
— INTERNATIONAL —
– US created 255,000 jobs in July vs. 180,000 jobs expected
- Job creation crushed estimates in July as the economy added 255,000 positions, according to the Labor Department.
- The headline unemployment rate held steady at 4.9 percent, though a more encompassing measure that includes those not actively looking for work and those working part-time for economic reasons moved up a notch to 9.7 percent.
- Though still mired near generational lows, the labor force participation rate ticked up one-tenth to 62.8 percent as those counted as not in the labor force decreased 184,000 to 94.3 million.
– Bangladesh government blocks over 30 news websites
- Bangladesh government has blocked over 30 online portals and news websites, including some pro-opposition media.
- The head of the national telecoms regulator Bangladesh Telecommunications and Regulatory Commission, BTRC said the websites were shut down late on Friday night on government orders.
- The list of blocked news portals included Sheershanews.com and amardeshonline, a news portal linked to a pro-opposition Bengali daily that the government shut down in 2013.
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had publicly criticised Bangladeshi TV channels over live telecast of the government’s preparations during the country’s worst hostage crisis.
— BANKING —
– IDBI Bank to raise Rs 4,000 cr via tier II, infra bonds
- Public sector lender IDBI Bank plans to raise Rs 2,000 crore through infrastructure bonds and a similar amount through Basel III-compliant tier-II bonds.
- Rating agency CRISIL has assigned “AA/Negative” rating for both instruments.
- R Bansal, the bank’s executive director and chief financial officer, said money raised from infrastructure bonds will be used to finance road projects, renewable energy and affordable housing.
— BUSINESS AND ECONOMY —
– Apple buys machine learning startup Turi
- Apple has acquired the machine learning startup Turi, according to GeekWire.
- As usual with an Apple acquisition, it’s picking up a small company whose products will likely make their way into the fabric of other Apple services.
- In this case, Turi offers tools that are meant to let developers easily scale machine learning applications.
– IRDA caps CEOs salary at Rs 1.5 cr from policyholders fund
- Insurance regulator IRDAI today put a cap of Rs 1.5 crore on the annual salary of Chief Executive, which could be paid from the policyholders’ fund.
- In case the annual renumeration of the MD/CEO/Whole Time Directors exceeds Rs 1.50 crore (excluding perquisites plus bonuses etc, by whatsoever names) such excess shall be borne by shareholders’ account
- No revision in renumeration shall be permitted till the expiry of one year from the date of earlier approval, it said.
– TRAI issues consultation paper on cloud computing
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) on Friday issued a consultation paper on cloud computing, seeking comments on the possible regulations for privacy, issues of jurisdiction when data is hosted in another country, data security, interoperability, and quality of services.
- The paper is available on the TRAI website, and comments are invited on firstname.lastname@example.org by July 8.
– Takehiko Nakao re-elected as Asian Development Bank president
- The board of Asian Development Bank has re-elected Takehiko Nakao as the multilateral funding agency’s president for a five-year term beginning November.
- Nakao was first elected as ADB president on April 28, 2013 to serve the three-and-half-years remaining term of his predecessor Haruhiko Kuroda.
- Being the ninth president of ADB, he was the sole nominee after ADB’s Governors were invited from May 31 to June 30, 2016, to make nominations for the organisation’s presidency, the release added.
– CSS Corp Appoints Manish Tandon as its New CEO, to be Based in the US
- CSS Corp, a global Technology Support company, has appointed Manish Tandon as its new Chief Executive Officer of the company.
- He will be inducted as a whole time director of the board and as CEO later this quarter.
- He will take over from “Tiger” TG Ramesh, the current CEO who now transitions to a strategic advisor role as a non-executive director on the board.
- This is in line with the company’s strategy to have its CEO based in the US, which is its largest market.
– New head for BHEL Corporate R&D
- KK Khurana, General Manager in-charge, has taken over as Head of BHEL Corporate R&D with effect from August 4, 2016.
- Prior to the elevation as GM I/C of Corporate R&D, he was involved in Project Engineering Management (PEM), Technical service among other areas in the company. He has wide experience in thermal power plant projects, according to a statement from BHEL.
– Vijay Rupani sworn in as Gujarat CM
- Vijay Rupani, the newly elected leader of the Gujarat BJP legislature party, on Sunday took oath as the 16th Chief Minister of Gujarat.
- Governor O.P. Kohli administered him the oath of office and secrecy at the Mahatma Mandir conference hall in Gandhinagar. Nitin Patel was sworn in as Deputy Chief Minister.
- Top leaders including L.K. Advani, Arun Jaitley, Chief Ministers of Goa, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan were present at the ceremony.
— SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY —
– Moon Express cleared for lunar mission
- LUNAR exploration and mining firm Moon Express has become the first private company to receive government approval to land on the moon, possibly providing another boost for the commercial space industry.
- Armed with the go-ahead from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), the Cape Canaveral, Florida, company plans to launch its unmanned MX-1 lunar lander next year.
- Previously, only national government agencies have launched missions beyond Earth orbit.
— SPORTS —
– Jitu Rai finishes 8th in men’s 10m air pistol event
- Jitu Rai was way off the mark in the men’s 10m Air Pistol final
- Jitu Rai shot an overall 78.7 to finish eighth in the field of eight finalists
- Vietnam’s Vinh won the gold with 202.5, while Almeida of Brazil took the silver and China’s Wei settled for bronze
– American teenager Thrasher wins first gold of Games
- Unflappable American teenager Virginia Thrasher won the first gold medal of the Rio 2016 Olympic Games on Saturday, holding her nerve against two Chinese Olympic champions to clinch the women’s 10m air rifle event.
- The 19-year-old U.S. college champion edged out China’s Du Li, gold in Athens in 2004, with an Olympic-record score of 208 in the sport’s new finals format. Defending Olympic champion Yi Siling, also of China, took the bronze medal.
- Competing in her first Olympics, Thrasher, as the first champion of the 2016 Games, was awarded her medal by International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach and said the achievement was beyond her wildest dreams.
– Tamil Nadu Chief Minister gives cash awards to five sports persons
- Five sportspersons from Tamil Nadu, including a differently-abled woman who had won honours in international contests, have been given away a total cash incentive of Rs 1.45 crore by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
- Jayalalithaa presented a cheque for Rs 25 lakh to Jenitha Anto of Tiruchirappalli on Friday for winning an international chess tournament for the differently abled held in Serbia last month, a government release said on Saturday.
– Perera bags six as SL clinch historic series win
- Off-spinner Dilruwan Perera bagged six wickets to fashion Sri Lanka’s historic series win over Australia here on Saturday as the world number one side suffered a humiliating 229-run loss inside three days in the second Test.
- Australia, chasing a challenging 413 for victory, were bundled out for 183 after lunch as Sri Lanka, who won their last series against the visitors in 1999, took an unassailable 2-0 lead in the three-match rubber.
- Veteran spinner Rangana Herath set up the win for the hosts with his maiden Test hat-trick which helped dismiss Australia for a record low of 106 in their first innings.
— OBITUARY —
– ‘Vietnam Veedu’ Sundaram passes away
- Script writer and director Vietnam Veedu Sundaram, who had worked with Sivaji Ganesan, MGR, Amitabh Bachchan and Kamal Haasan, died.
- He was 76 and is survived by wife and two daughters.
- Sundaram was born in Tiruchi and Vietnam Veedu became part of his name after he wrote the script, first for the eponymous play and then for the film, starring Sivaji Ganesan.
- He cut his teeth at the troupe United Amateur Artists, run by Y.G. Parthasarathy.
Current Affairs Update
To Get PDF Version
— Click Here —